Sunday 21 June 2015

Transom almost done . . . and a visit from the Master


It has been a rainy week, but a Sisyphus-like despair more than anything has kept me from picking up the enormously heavy Bosch 5” sander and re-sanding for the millionth time the battered hull of poor Jeffie.  However, this weekend brought progress, if not joyful things.

I finally stripped, sanded and primed (1st coat) the $%$#@! transom (thank you Maynard Bray and the how-to book of Sanding and Painting for the Truly Anal-Retentive), and now the trowel cement must do its magic. 

Paul has reversed his earlier dictum of “no sanding after the trowel cement goes on,” which I ignored anyway since I found that there were spots I had not alcoholed off that could be sanded/feathered right out.  Plus, I had to put another wad of it in all the seams.

 The four errant planks have been re-fastened to the stem, but Paul now has to put the cotton back in and apparently do it on the other side—which I conveniently troweled right over.  He tried to teach me how to “listen” for loose planks with a plastic (electrician’s) hammer, but I did not get the hang of it (apparently safe-cracker is not a good choice for me for future employment).
After I fill up the cracks in the transom, there’s nothing left for it but to tackle the evil deck, since I have been deserted by my one helper and my tentative second helper has only given me a “maybe” on Facebook.
The good thing about the deck is that gravity can do some of the work, and the sanding should not be so bad.  Except for the bulwark.  That way madness lies.

Paul has been vacuuming out the keel, which in my mind points to a reefing out of the keel soon.
If Jeff does not go in by August I’ll fill up the hold with water and drown myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment