Monday 8 June 2015

Interlux: trowel cement as old as Jeff Brown

The wonderful thing about Jeffie is that it is being fixed up with things that have been lying in boathouses and in woodshops and in cellars since Dad ran Spicer's Marina in the '70s.  So when these rusty cans of goo show up on my doorstep I feel a tinge of recognition, in a way I never would for anything out of a West Marine catalog, and the smell of brain-cell-killing vapor takes me back to those many summers I spent underneath hulls slopping red copper bottom paint on 40-foot "yachts" for 3 bucks an hour.

The term "trowel cement" had a faintly non-nautical whiff to it, however, so I Googled Interlux trowel cement and found this super cute ad for it, c. 1964

and another, from 1946 made me take heart that I would be almost ready for race day if I used it. And have great hair!

Plus, the Wooden Boat Forum had a plea from someone so desperate to find more (since it is no longer made) that I figure when I'm done I can auction off this can for thousands!

Paul, AWOL but in communication, says that this will also push out of the seams when the boat swells, which is good.  But those ads also said that it was good for touching up dings  and gouges, so I went a bit overboard with it.

Still looks the same, but not as many . . . gaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment