Wednesday 15 April 2015

First Inspection



This is what we are aiming for.  Jeffie in 2001. I believe that's cousin John at the tiller.

Paul came over today with facemasks and words of encouragement.  We looked at all the little cracks and he said they could get filled with epoxy resin, that he will thin so it is almost like water, then it slinks into the cracks and fills up.  There are some spots where there is a LOT of epoxy; Paul looked a little sheepish and said that the rail needed to be completely replaced.  I think it is the rail.  The place where the scuppers are.  If I am going to work on this boat I should probably learn what things are called.

Bulwarks!  That’s what they are.  First the gunwale, or the rail cap, which is now white but had been varnished, then below that are the 4” high bulwarks where the scuppers are, which are black on the outside and white on the inside/deck side, then the brass rub rail on the outside, then another 4” trim board that sits below the decking, then another rub rail which used to be varnished but is now black like the bulwarks and the trim, and then the green part, technically known as the hull or topside, which confuses me mightily since shouldn’t the topside be on top?  But no, friends, that is the deck.  Which got scraped today.  Not much time since I do have a job.  


 Here's the front

 Here's the back

The hole got bigger--I do wonderful work, don't I?

Also, Paul said I could scrape and sand the snot out of it, and scrape up loose caulk and epoxy, but if I hit cotton I should stop.  I know that putting the cotton in is an art, and I am no artist.
 Bit of a problem on the deck . . .  
 
Paul also said there are “helpers” who want to help sand, so I told him that would be fine as long as I could tell them when to come. It’s an enormous job, especially for someone who does not know what she is doing and hates power tools (the noise, you know) but it means I will have to crawl out of my hermit shell and be friendly, and admit that this is a group project.  Which it has been for many years.  Everyone loves this boat. People with far more talent than I have kept it afloat all this time.  I have to learn to be happy to just be a part of some things.  It’s funny, but the things I tend to latch onto and not want to share are the things that have never been mine in the first place.

I believe tomorrow Paul will come with a detail sander and because it is so tiny and delicate I will ease into the power tool portion of our show in  that way.  It looks like Paul is amenable to painting the black trim red, which is was awhile ago when a guy on Fisher’s Island had it and did the thing with the varnished gunwale and rub rail.  Paul said it looked “like a million bucks.”  I think it will look like a gothic Christmas tree. 

No comments:

Post a Comment